About New Horizons Un-LimitedTweet
In December 1994, Arthur Miller founded New Horizons Un-Limited. After attending a community meeting to discuss controversy over accessible facilities for individuals with disabilities, Art observed, that yet again, a key ingredient was missing from this meeting - representation from the disability community.
It was at this point that he realized the importance of coming together as a larger group, forming a community voice of individuals with disabilities to work for change and to take a more active role in determining their own destiny. If individuals with disabilities had the means to communicate with one another to create a common voice and the means to access the information and resources on the issues that affect them, they could affect positive change in their own lives and the lives of others living with disability.
Thus began New Horizons Un-Limited. What started as a small website, with just a few visitors a month, has grown into a service organization, serving thousands of people impacted by disability annually via our internationally accessed website and local community initiatives.
- Information and Referral
- Personalized Consultation and Development
- Computer Grants, Computer Literacy Training, and Ongoing Technical Support
- Work Skills Training and Experiences
- A Supportive Community of Advocates, Peers, and Volunteers
- Opportunities for Socialization and Recreation
Our MissionNew Horizons Un-Limited is a non-profit organization that provides our community members with disabilities the information, tools and experiences that encourage lifelong learning and service, and enable them to become confident, contributing citizens. We believe that fulfillment is achievable in many different ways and at every stage of life. As such, we offer a range of services to keep our community members moving forward in their lives.
Our VisionWe envision a world in which every individual with a disability is given the opportunity to find purpose and fulfillment as contributing members of society through employment and service to others.
We provide the support necessary to help individuals realize their full potential, capitalize on their strengths, and develop a sense of self-worth so that they may set an example to encourage others to do the same. We are building a network of advocates, including members of society, that believe in the power of service and community. While we face a seemingly overwhelming task, we are confident we can realize our vision - a world that values all individuals, including those of us with disabilities.
- We believe that we all have an obligation to give back, no matter where we are in life or what limitations we may have.
- We believe that access to technology is paramount.
- We believe that learning never stops.
- We believe that self-improvement is a lifelong process.
- We believe that every single human being needs support from the community to thrive.
- We believe in building capacity through community.
- We believe that the inclusion of people with disabilities benefits all of society.
- We believe in the value of our community members with disabilities.
- We believe in helping people who are motivated to help themselves.
- We believe that success can come in many different forms and at any stage of life.
- New Horizons Un-Limited works to form a community of individuals with disabilities, their families, and caregivers.
- Via our local programs we serve individuals who, due to their physical or intellectual disabilities are the most isolated and least likely to participate in activities outside of their homes.
- Via our local programs, we provide one-on-one mentoring and training, ongoing support and consultation, personalized information and referral, and access to life altering technology to motivated individuals with disabilities.
- Our website and social media allow us to reach our local community with assistance and self-help thru our programs. It also allows us to reach visitors
from across the United States.
- Visitors have included parents of children with disabilities, young and old, to independent adults that need the tools to reach their education, health, or employment goals or social or recreation opportunities in their communities.
- In addition we have welcomed visitors from South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia among other areas of the world with resources and a community of people to find opportunities and solutions to common problems confronting people with disabilities.
- Our internationally accessed website receives more than 2-3 million page views from several hundred thousand visitors on an annual basis.
Who We Serve