New Horizons Un-Limited Inc.
Disability Experiences: Writings and Perspectives
New Horizons Un-limited is not endorsing and assumes no responsibility in guaranteeing the products, services, programs or conditions as described herein. Evaluate the information, analyze your unique circumstances, use your best judgment and make your own decisions when using the information. Before making any change, consult your health care professional.
Alzheimer's from a Caregiver's Perspective: 10 Tips for Caregivers
Marvin from Nebraska submitted his 10 Tips for Caregivers for those who care for people with Alzheimer's Disease.
Marvin's wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's over seven years ago and he has had an integral part in her care these many years. The following is what he has learned as a caregiver and as an assistant at his wife's care home what he shares with others who are coping with a loved one with Alzheimer's Disease.
10 Tips for Caregivers for those who care for people with Alzheimer's Disease.
1. Remember you are now living in their world not yours, respond accordingly.
2. Be patient, remember their situation, take your time.
3. Be calm, listen to what the patient is trying to communicate to you.
4. Look them in the eye when they are talking, as well as your response.
5. Patients respond positively to compliments, encourage them. Scolding, harsh statements can cause hositlity.
6. Remember your body language reveals to the patient how you really feel.
7. Talk slowly, clearly, be specific do not labor the patient with long stories.
8. When giving directions, be clear, simple, allow time for response.
9. Proper touching, pointing, can assist in accomplishing a task.
10. Show your love, laugh with them, make funny faces if needed, they will respond accordingly.
© Copyright, October 1, 2008, Marvin
For more on the topic of Disability Experiences:
Community & Internet Resources /
News Publication and News /
Personal Experience Form
If you have questions or ideas, information and solutions that you would like to
share with us, contact us by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org or to use
our NHU E-Mail Form or NHU Community Discussion Board, click on the links below.
© Copyright March 31, 2009, New Horizons Un-Limited Incorporated
NHU has no liability for content or goods on the Internet.