Connect with new-horizons.org
Information and Referral
Do you need help finding the disability-related information and resources that can help you improve you or your loved one's life? NHU can help in a number of ways!
- Our NHU website provides thousands of links to National and local disability-related resources. Whether you are looking to purchase your first home, find work for the first time, or simply need respite, we have a resource for you. Get started by browsing our Disability Resources.
- Our experienced Information and Referral Consultants provide personalized assistance for information to people across the United States via e-mail. Please be sure to include your state, county and city when requesting help, as many programs are provided on a local basis.
- Before you e-mail your question, check out our Frequently Asked Questions and and Answers section to find answers or solutions on various disability topics.
- Our NHU Guides are our Free Publications of comprehensive self-help articles to assist you step-by-step on a variety of disability topics.
There are many at the link above, but to list a few:
- Our Library and Research is a Disability Portal to the Internet including Disability Databases, Library, Book, Magazine and Media Resources, as well as, Information on Specific Disabilities. and Disability Research Resources. Would you like to Research on your own? Visit Research Tips and Search Engines
Support and Inspiration
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
- Keep up with current Disability News and Events and People Making a Difference! in the lives of people with disabilities locally and across the globe!
- Subscribe to our our free quarterly NHU Newsletter CommunicAbility for disability information, news, legislation, and inspiration at: via E-Mail
- Our NHU Facebook Page is your source for disability information and inspiration. Be sure to like us to ensure our NHU updates show up in your newsfeed.
- Follow us on Twitter! New Opportunities, New Hope, New Horizons!
- Parents, siblings, and friends of children and adults with disabilities can join our Facebook Group It Takes One to Know One: Family Forum on Disability. Connect with and learn from others who are on a similar journey.
- Find inspiration and words to reflect upon on our NHU Wordpress Blog. We are always looking for guest contributors. If you have something inspiring to share, please contact us to learn how you can be featured as a guest contributor. Contact us via phone, 414-299-0124 or e-mail to inquire.
- Via our Share Your Knowledge and Disability Experiences we share the personal disability experiences of people with disabilities to lend support and find solutions to common problems, and to let you know "You Are Not Alone!"
- Visit our NHU Community Forum, for our Thought of the Month and resources and contributions from people across the country! Join our Forum and share a resource.
Disabled Veteran Support
We provide information and support to all Veterans with disabiliites so that they may thrive in their civilian lives.
- Our NHU online directory on Disabled Veteran Support provides links to dozens of National organizations that provide support in areas such as benefits assistance, employment, financial assistance, home ownership, and mental wellness, among others.
- We also welcome Veterans with disabilities for our Computer Grant Program as well as our Employment Skills Program. See these programs below.
Please contact us via phone, 414-299-0124 or e-mail to inquire.
We provide information and support to all Caregivers with family members or friends with disabiliites so they may find training, resources and respite.
Access Technology Initiative: Computer Access and Literacy (Available in Wisconsin/Northern Illinois)
If you are in need of a computer that can run the latest software and provide a fast online browsing experience, contact us to learn more about our NHU Computer Grant Program. Our program is open to motivated individuals with mobility impairments and/or intellectual/developmental disabilities who plan to use the computer to improve their lives.
Approved applicants will receive a refurbished desktop computer with Windows 7, flat screen monitor, keyboard and mouse. Please contact us via phone, 414-299-0124 or e-mail to inquire. Or, you may download the complete Computer Grant Application.
When you apply to receive a computer, our experienced instructors will provide FREE basic training on computer, Internet and e-mail usage. Upon reciept of your computer you may contact us for additional, in-depth training on specific computer-related topics.
Employment Skills Development (Available in Wisconsin)
We provide hands-on training and professional experience to transition-aged youth and adults with disabilities in Office Administration, Research and Writing, Marketing and Computer Repair and Support via temporary work experiences and internships. Our goal is to provide participants with skill and resume building activities so that they are better equipped to find self-sustaining employment. We accept applicants via local school districts, colleges and universities, and the WI Division of Vocational Rehabilitation through Adonai Employment in Milwaukee.
Please contact us via phone, 414-299-0124 or e-mail to inquire.
Arts, Recreation and Respite
In partnership with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and State Parks' Friends Groups, we support the building of wheelchair accessible cabins in the state parks of Wisconsin. We encourage you to review the history of this program and the opening of the most recent accessible cabin at Harrington Beach State Park. This accessible cabin opens for its first full camping season in 2016.
If you or a family member has a physical disability and are in need of a break, book a stay at one of Wisconsin's eight fully accessible cabins. Each one-bedroom cabin features a fully accessible, open concept great room, kitchen (with roll under sink), bathroom (with roll in shower), bedroom (with adjustable bed) and sun porch. Cabin sites also offer accessible fire pits and nature trails.
For more information, visit Wisconsin DNR: Accessible cabins for people with disabilities.
Via our website we provide thousands of resources on Arts, Culture and Recreation.
If you have questions or ideas, information and solutions that you would like to share with us, contact us by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org or to use our NHU E-Mail Form or NHU Community Forum, click on the links below.
© Copyright 2016 New Horizons Un-Limited Inc.
[Updated October 31, 2016]
NHU has no liability for content or goods on the Internet.