Author Topic: March 2018 - Obviously, because of my disability, I need assistance. But I ....  (Read 70 times)

NHU Community Friend

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • New Horizons Un-Limited
    • Email
'Obviously, because of my disability, I need assistance. But I have always tried to overcome the limitations of my condition and lead as full a life as possible. I have traveled the world, from the Antarctic to zero gravity." - Stephen Hawking,  1942-2018 -

We pay tribute to Stephen Hawking who passed away this month.  He was a British born theoretical physicist, cosmologist, author and was Director of Research at the Centre for Theoretical Cosmology within the University of Cambridge.

He did groundbreaking work in physics and cosmology and his books have helped to make science accessible to everyone.

Stephen was diagnosed with ALS, a form of Motor Neurone Disease, shortly after his 21st birthday.  He used  a computerized communication device and a wheelchair and continued his life with family, work, scientific discoveries and travel and public lectures.
He used humor often in his lectures and conversations and is quoted as saying,
"Keeping an active mind has been vital to my survival, as has been maintaining a sense of humor."

"My advice to other disabled people would be, concentrate on things your disability doesn't prevent you doing well, and don't regret the things it interferes with. Don't be disabled in spirit as well as physically."

NHU Community Friend