Author Topic: January 2017-I am only one, but still I am one; I cannot do everything, but stil  (Read 285 times)

NHU Community Friend

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • New Horizons Un-Limited
    • Email
You are a Citizen!

I am only one, but still I am one;
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something;
and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do something that I can do.
- Edward E. Hale

Citizen - You are a citizen.  You have rights, the same as anyone else in the United States of America:  Life, Liberty and  the Pursuit of Happiness.
Learn your rights.  Read the laws related to disability issues.  There are laws to protect our rights to vote, to obtain education and health care, to obtain and keep employment and housing, to be able to report and find justice for abuse or obstruction,
to be able to access buildings, services and even the Internet, safely and securely.

People have worked hard to ensure that people with disabilities are not discriminated against in life. 
Liberty or Freedom has a price, the price is Responsibility.

You too can be a part of this awareness and advocacy, in simple ways and larger.

Each time we ask another for a common courtesy, or explain to someone how we wish to be treated because of a disability,
each time we ask for respect, request an accessible way into a venue, we are teaching awareness about disability. 

When we use an accessible venue over an inaccessible one, when we purchase assistive and adaptive technology,
when we file a complaint, tell our story to an organization or a legislator, participate in a legislation day or protest,
we are advocating for people with disabilities.

If you do not share, we will not be heard. 

Together we can find a common voice for all those with disabilities and their families. 

Make it a part of your life to do what you can do!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 08:39:16 AM by NHU Community Friend »
NHU Community Friend