Author Topic: What do I need to know about computer maintenance?  (Read 201663 times)

NHU Community Friend

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • New Horizons Un-Limited
    • Email
What do I need to know about computer maintenance?
« on: July 21, 2016, 08:24:08 AM »
NHU will keep you informed on how to perform regular maintenance on your computer.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:06:56 PM by NHU Community Friend »
NHU Community Friend

NHU Community Friend

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Computer maintenance: How do I keep my PC up to date?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 10:48:12 AM »
It is important to update your computer operating system often in order to keep it running correctly.   

You can check for updates by going to Control panel, Windows update, and Check for updates. 

The updates may start to download automatically when you boot up your computer depending on how your windows updates settings are configured.

When the updates finish downloading you will be asked to restart your computer to complete the installation process.

When you restart your computer a message will appear displaying the progress of the installation.  Note that it is not recommended to shut down your computer during the installation process of the updates.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:07:12 PM by NHU Community Friend »
NHU Community Friend

NHU Community Friend

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Computer maintenance: How can I clean up old system files on my PC?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 11:00:43 AM »
Disk Clean Up is a program included with the windows software that scan for any junk files on your computer and gives you the option to choose what junk files to delete. Disk Clean Up can detect temporary internet files, recycle bin items, log files, thumbnails and other left over program and system files. To access Disk Clean Up click Start, Accessories, System Tools, and Disk Clean Up.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:07:33 PM by NHU Community Friend »
NHU Community Friend

NHU Community Friend

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
 If you go to your internet browser and find that your toolbar is cluttered with unwanted add-ons, you can access your add-ons by going to Tools, Add-ons and Extensions, then disable or remove the unwanted add-ons on the list.           

If you suspect that you have any unnecessary or unsafe programs installed, you can access the list of programs installed on your computer by clicking Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features.  Then double click on the unwanted program on the list and uninstall it.  Make sure not to uninstall any important programs by mistake.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:07:56 PM by NHU Community Friend »
NHU Community Friend