Author Topic: Magazine for children with disabilities  (Read 2403 times)

NHU Community Friend

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • New Horizons Un-Limited
    • Email
Magazine for children with disabilities
« on: February 15, 2012, 12:16:16 PM »
I am searching the internet for a magazine that is for children with disabilities. All I have found is magazines for the families of disabled children.  I came across your site-it was the only one that made mention of something specific for the kids. I know that yours is online and for wheelchair bound kids-I am looking for a physical magazine and not one specifically about wheelchairs per se. Do you, by chance, know of any magazine that fits my needs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Town Librarian
NHU Community Friend

NHU Community Friend

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • New Horizons Un-Limited
    • Email
Re: Magazine for children with disabilities
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 12:17:46 PM »
Thank you for your question on magazines for families of disabled children.  We too know of on-line groups but not any physical magazines. 

We did come across ADDitude - www.additudemag.com/additude/ although this magazine has articles for adults  with ADD or learning disabilities and parents of children with these disabilities, the magazine seems to address issues for kids too.  We will order a  copy to get a better idea.

We did come across this magazine from the UK - http://www.kids.org.uk/files/106367/FileName/TransitionsAutumn2011.pdf . Most of the articles are very related to the activities of the organization so may not be helpful to kids elsewhere.

We do offer a free newsletter, Communicability,  for people with disabilities, however ours also is geared toward adults.  We can send you this newsletter hard copy or via e-mail.  View this newsletter at www.new-horizons.org/nwsltr.html in html or pdf formats.

We will continue to look for information on children's magazines. 

Please let us know if you find a great magazine that we may share it with others.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:33:36 PM by NHU Community Friend »
NHU Community Friend